turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

handsb

Does the DC return include form D-30 for real estate income?

Do I need the business version rather than the income property version?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
GabiU
Level 15

No. It is also not available in the business version. 
See this link here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Please confirm (Intuit) that no product/version of Turbo Tax enables electronic submission of the DC D-30 Unincorporated Business Franchise Tax Return for 2019.  If some product/version does enable electronic submission, please indicate the product/version. 

The link provided is a list titled "District of Columbia Corporations Form Availability (print only)" - and the list does not contain D-30.  I must be missing something about the relevance of the link to the question.

Also, if known, please indicate why the form is not available (e.g., maybe DC does not accept electronic submissions of this form).

Thank you

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

A 2019 DC D-30 Unincorporated Business Franchise Tax Return form is not presently available in Turbo Tax.  The reason why it isn't offered is because it can be a complicated return that can generate errors. it takes many things into account such as  specific Income, deductions, apportionment, NOL, cost of goods sold, contributions, estimates and balance sheet information. This can be overwhelming for the majority of taxpayers and much room to make a mistake that can result in a nasty audit that we at Turbo Tax wishes for you to avoid.    

The lack of support for DC Form D-30 is a big oversight in TurboTax that is making my tax filing incredibly complicated for something that should be pretty simple. Any landlord with rental income above $12,000 (most everyone in DC) has to file this form, but doing so manually is confusing. I thought I bought the advanced version of Turbo Tax that was going to help me with my basic rental income situation, but it turns out that Turbo Tax doesn't support DC landlords.  

So, are you're suggesting that we skip filing this return because it's complicated?  Or that we do it without TurboTax's help because it's complicated? 

If we paid for a TurboTax service that includes rentals (which I know I did), then this return, the most basic of DC returns required of all landlords should be included in what TurboTax does.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If you are required to file the form you must file the form- TurboTax does not include it with DC personal returns- it is not a part of the return- it is a separate return.

@LanceinDC

Will DC’s D-30 form ever be included in TurboTax’s version for “rental income”? DC has unfortunately applied D-30 to both simple rental income “businesses” as well as actual complicated businesses. Could TurboTax simply pre-fill the applicable parts of D-30 for us? Those of us with rental income understand that we’re only using a small portion of D-30 and have no expectation of using it for anything besides this purpose. It seems like there is an opportunity for TurboTax to indicate that they only support D-30 for rental income rather than allowing businesses to fill out the whole D-30.

That’s exactly what we need.   Just like the personal return, all the information needed to complete it for small landlords who aren’t in the rental business is in the 1040 forms.  It’s not knowing what parts to fill out on the D-30 form that makes it complicated for the average passive rental income landlord.   Especially since the directions on the booklet that comes with the form aren’t clear. I’d expect to pay an extra fee to fill out this extra form, but would gladly do it.

MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

No, please see forms availability for complete list of currently supported forms for your state.

@LanceinDC 

I think you’ve misunderstood.  We know it’s not available.  We’re saying it should be.  TurboTax should consider making it available.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies