Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do over the road truck drivers have to pay taxes to the state there licence is issued which is their residence and also the state the company there work for is located ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Do over the road truck drivers have to pay taxes to the state there licence is issued which is their residence and also the state the company there work for is located ?

Over the road truck drivers pay state taxes in their resident state. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

The Amtract Act exempts Truck Drivers from taxation by states they drive thru.   Here's Massachusetts's  explanation (the same type rules apply in all states):

https://www.mass.gov/technical-information-release/tir-93-6-employees-of-interstate-motor-and-rail-c...

truckerjny
Returning Member

How about if I live in NY but the terminal that hired me is located in Pennsylvania. Over the road job. Start and end my work day in a truck. Do I have to file taxes in PA? They did not deduct Pa taxes from me during the year. Only NY.

Thank you

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No, you do not have to file a return and pay tax to the state where your company is located.  You only have to file and pay tax in your state of residence - in your case New York.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies