turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do other states count as state of residence if my permanent tax home is in Texas and I travel/live in other states for work and pay taxes in each state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Do other states count as state of residence if my permanent tax home is in Texas and I travel/live in other states for work and pay taxes in each state?

It depends.  Chances are that you only file nonresident returns for each state, to count the income you earned in that state only for the time you were there.

However, if you maintained a residency (such as an apartment, a house, a trailer, etc., but not a hotel room or similar temporary residency), you could be considered a statutory resident of certain states, particularly if you were physically present in the state for more than half of the year.  If you had this situation with any particular state, comment that, and we can give you tax information on how that state treats your situation.

Of course, if you can file as nonresident in each state, any income you earn within Texas will not be taxed in the other states.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies