turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wisk

Do I have to declare Virginia as my state of residence for 2019? I lived in Ukraine from 7/18 to 11/19

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do I have to declare Virginia as my state of residence for 2019? I lived in Ukraine from 7/18 to 11/19

183 days

The state you claim residency in should be the state where you spend the most time. Many states require that residents spend at least 183 days or more in a state to claim they live there for income tax purposes.

This came up on google.
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

It depends. 

If Virginia is your permanent home before and after the time in Ukraine, you are a Virginia resident for tax purposes.  If a resident, you must file if your Virginia adjusted gross income is $11,950 or more for a single person, or $23,900 or more for a married person filing jointly with their spouse.

If instead, you moved to Virginia to live after you returned from Ukraine, you are are a part-year resident of Virginia.  If a part-year resident, you must file a Virginia part-year return if you have Virginia source income and your Virginia adjusted gross income is $11,950 or more for a single person, or $23,900 or more for a married person filing jointly with their spouse.

This Virginia tax website is a good source for questions about filing taxes in Virginia.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies