turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did anyone file California state ?

I went to file my taxes and it said form 540 was not ready for the state so I hit continue and then it filed my taxes . I’m confused because if the form wasn’t ready , how did it get filed . anyone else have this issue ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like you have e-filed both the federal and state returns.  But the form is available to e-file, so it should be fine.  Neither the IRS nor California has started accepting returns yet, and your returns will stay in pending status until they do.    If you see form 540 in your return, then it was e-filed with your return.   You are good, just waiting on the taxing authorities to start accepting returns.  Once that happens, you will see the 'pending' status change.  🙂    @malyssah760

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The California Form 540 is available for e-filing.  The printable form will not be available until Jan 30, 2020.

See this article for California Individual Form Availability.

This happened to me as well said not available but was able to efile.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The form is available for e-filing.  The printable version is what is not yet available.  Make sure that you have selected E-file and not File by Mail.   Also, if you are using desktop software instead of the Online version, make sure your software is updated.  

Thank you for replying . I hit to notify me when form was available and then hit continue and it folded my taxes . I selected to E-file during the process of my taxes so I am assuming that it automatically emailed my state when I hit continue . Both federal and state both say filed and pending . When I click on my tax forms I do see form 540 and it has “ Efile only , do not mail “ all over it .  Would Turbo Tax have filed my state i with out the form ? 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like you have e-filed both the federal and state returns.  But the form is available to e-file, so it should be fine.  Neither the IRS nor California has started accepting returns yet, and your returns will stay in pending status until they do.    If you see form 540 in your return, then it was e-filed with your return.   You are good, just waiting on the taxing authorities to start accepting returns.  Once that happens, you will see the 'pending' status change.  🙂    @malyssah760

hnsvay
Returning Member

I received the same message on Monday and e-filed both my federal shows accepted but my California shows pending and I don't see the 540 when I review the return only my federal return is there. Should I be worried about this since others are seeing the 540?

Thank you !

zq1
Returning Member

Hi 

My son worked 1/2 the year in Boston MA and then took a job in California mid year. Turbo tax is giving him a credit on the CA state return for the State taxes he paid to MA for the 1st 1/2 of the year. Is this correct?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies