Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming a Refund from CA FTB

I moved from CA to AZ at the end of 2018 and was an AZ resident for all of 2019. However, since I neglected to file a change of address with the custodian of my 401k they send withholding tax to CA when they processed my RMD in November. How can I get that money back? The most straightforward answer would seem to be to file a 540NR form showing no CA income but claiming a refund of the amt withheld. Will that work, or is there a better way to to it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

<<The most straightforward answer would seem to be to file a 540NR form showing no CA income but claiming a refund of the amt withheld.>>

That is exactly what you have to do.  Unfortunately there's no alternative method.  I suggest you file the CA return on paper, and attach a letter of explanation.   

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Yes, filing a California nonresident return (form 540-NR) indicating that you did not have income in California will be the easiest and most straight-forward way to get a refund of the taxes withheld.  

You may get a request later in the year from the California Franchise Tax Board asking you to explain why the income wasn't taxable in California. If you receive this request, it is a normal automated response and not an indication that you filed incorrectly.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies