turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I sign my adult daughter's tax return as her agent or representative since I prepared the return, advised her of contents and refund, and she lives out-of-state.

The return is for Tax Year 2017 when she was a full-time college student.  She has since graduated and moved for a job out-of-state.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Can I sign my adult daughter's tax return as her agent or representative since I prepared the return, advised her of contents and refund, and she lives out-of-state.

No, you cannot sign your adult daughter's tax return. Being in another state is not one of the circumstances that allow a representative or agent to sign a tax return. A 2017 tax return has to be filed by mail. Send your daughter the PDF of the tax return. She can print it, sign it, and mail it. Or you could print it and send her the printed return, but that's more cumbersome.

Since you can e-File five returns (CD/download), one or more of them is usually a son, brother, niece or daughter's return.

A return that is e-Filed is presumed to have been signed by the taxpayer.

Oops. Never mind, I see 2017 now. A 2017 return can't be e-Filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies