turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim Michigan homestead tax credit for renters?

I am a senior citizen. How do I claim Michigan homestead credit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You may qualify for a property tax credit if all of the following apply:

• You own or were contracted to pay rent and occupied a Michigan homestead for at least 6 months during the year on which property taxes and/or service fees were levied.  If you own your home, your taxable value was $135,000 or less (unless unoccupied farmland)
  • Your total household resources were $60,000 or less (part year residents must annualize total household resources to determine if a credit reduction applies)
  • If 100% of your total household resources were received from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, you do not qualify

Note: You may be required to submit documentation to support your claim. See Homeowners or Renters Checklist for details.

How do I file a Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim MI-1040CR?

If you are required to file a Michigan Individual Income Tax return MI-1040, submit the Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim MI-1040CR with your MI-1040. If you are not required to file an MI-1040, you may file the MI-1040CR by itself. You have 4 years from the original due date to file your claim.

If you are active military, an eligible veteran, or the surviving spouse of a veteran, complete the MI-1040CR and the MI-1040CR-2, Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim for Veterans and Blind People. File the form that gives you the larger credit.

-Under the State taxes tab, choose the state that you lived in and paid rent in for the 8 months. Click on Edit across from your state. -Next, it will ask you what type of rental.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You may qualify for a property tax credit if all of the following apply:

• You own or were contracted to pay rent and occupied a Michigan homestead for at least 6 months during the year on which property taxes and/or service fees were levied.  If you own your home, your taxable value was $135,000 or less (unless unoccupied farmland)
  • Your total household resources were $60,000 or less (part year residents must annualize total household resources to determine if a credit reduction applies)
  • If 100% of your total household resources were received from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, you do not qualify

Note: You may be required to submit documentation to support your claim. See Homeowners or Renters Checklist for details.

How do I file a Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim MI-1040CR?

If you are required to file a Michigan Individual Income Tax return MI-1040, submit the Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim MI-1040CR with your MI-1040. If you are not required to file an MI-1040, you may file the MI-1040CR by itself. You have 4 years from the original due date to file your claim.

If you are active military, an eligible veteran, or the surviving spouse of a veteran, complete the MI-1040CR and the MI-1040CR-2, Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim for Veterans and Blind People. File the form that gives you the larger credit.

-Under the State taxes tab, choose the state that you lived in and paid rent in for the 8 months. Click on Edit across from your state. -Next, it will ask you what type of rental.

This does not flow this way on TurboTax Online.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

To claim Michigan Homestead tax credit:

1. Open your state return:
  2. Continue until you get to the screen Take a look at Michigan credits and taxes
  3. Under Personal, Home and Family Credits, select Start next to Homestead property tax credit.
  4. On the screen Location of Property, Select Yes if you meet the qualifications and continue. 

Who qualifies for a homestead property tax credit?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies