turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bitter_Almonds
Returning Member

California State Filing:

I e-filed my federal return, but chose not to pay the ridiculous additional 25-dollar price-gouge to file the state return. I'll mail it instead. However, it has been over a decade since I've mailed a return with a check. Do I just print a copy of the state return and mail it with the check for the taxes owed? I see that the "instructions" Intuit included said not to mail the complete return because it was e-filed (which it was most definitely not!), so I can't follow Intuit's own instructions as to what to do next.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

California State Filing:

I think you may be looking at the instructions for your federal return since you e-filed that return.   If you chose to print and mail in your state return, the state instructions will print out the mailing instructions and a payment voucher if you have a balance due.  

Use the File Menu at the top of the page and scroll down to Print - or you can use Ctrl+P.   Make sure you are in the state tax section BEFORE you print so you get the option to print the correct state forms.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bitter_Almonds
Returning Member

California State Filing:

Thank you for the quick reply. I printed the California state return and it mentions e-filing it, which is why I came here to ask the question since the instructions are incorrect. If I am mailing a payment to the Franchise Tax Board, what else do I need to send besides the check for the amount I owe?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

California State Filing:

You can include the payment voucher which should have printed with your return.    State of California Franchise Tax Board

Individuals

1. Include a copy of your notice, bill, or payment voucher
  2. Make your check, money order, or cashier’s check payable to Franchise Tax Board
  3. Write either your FTB ID, SSN, or ITIN, and tax year on your payment
  4. Mail to:

Franchise Tax Board

PO Box 942867
    Sacramento CA 94267-0001

Businesses

1. Include a copy of your notice, bill, or payment voucher
  2. Make your check, money order, or cashier’s check payable to Franchise Tax Board
  3. Write the business name, FTB ID/Business Entity ID, and tax year on your payment
  4. Mail to:

Franchise Tax Board

PO Box 942857
    Sacramento CA 94257-0501

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bitter_Almonds
Returning Member

California State Filing:

I spoke with a person from the California Franchise Tax Board and he stated I also needed to mail a signed return and a copy of my W-2. intuit needs to get their act together and proofread their own incorrect instructions rather than focus on being greedy by upselling e-filing. For the amount I paid, I expected good service, not something this substandard. As it stands, turbotax is a rip-off.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies