Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA state tax still pending

My federal tax was accepted but CA state tax is still pending. How long will it take for state tax acceptance?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

It can take several days, especially at the beginning of tax season.

My friend filed fed and CA state tax via turbotax yesterday and both of her tax returns have been accepted within hours. I filed CA state tax last Friday (2/12), and it has been one week but still pending. I checked FTB and there's no record yet. I'm not sure whether my state tax filing has already been submitted and when I expect to receive the acceptance notice.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

As previously mentioned by SwetieJean, state returns can stay in a pending status even after a federal return has been accepted. We do see this happen particularly at the beginning of tax season. I am including an FAQ that provides further details: Pending State Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I submitted Federal, Idaho, and California taxes to Turbotax last week 2/9 or 2/10 (understanding Federal would not begin accepting until Friday 2/12, AND speculating this was on purpose with a Federal 3-day holiday weekend; I thought MAYBE I wouldn't see things moving until Tuesday 2/16).  Here is status and acceptance times I received SO FAR:

Federal accepted Sat, Feb 13, 12:09 AM (sooner than I speculated, but later in comparison to past years that occurred in minutes or hours).

Idaho accepted Mon, Feb 15, 4:26 PM.

CA STILL PENDING!!! ................................  I escaped California moving to Idaho (SOOOOOOO ridiculously cheap to live here).  Maybe their pissed at me - lol......

I used Turbotax via download onto my PC, and not the direct online version.  I have opened program 3-times I believe since filing, and 2 of those times saw CA updates being downloaded.  It did not affect my refund amount, and as of yet STILL PENDING...............

Again, just my speculation.  But with many posts showing CA returns being accepted that submitted  to Turbotax on the 12th or after (instead of all of these postings apparently in the Turbotax Que prior to the 12th), Seems like this is likely a Turbotax issue, and one they are likely not going to admit to (they probably think being honest with us will affect future sales, although I believe honesty would better propel them).

Good luck everyone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some of you have noticed an issue where your return has been in a pending status multiple days. This pending status means we noticed an issue that may have caused your return to be rejected and are doing an extra review to assess the reason it was flagged, resolve it for you, or identify what you need to do to ensure everything is accurate and your return is accepted.  If this applies to you, we will be sending you an email within 48 hours with confirmation that your return has been filed, or instructions for any additional steps that need to be taken to ensure an accurate return is filed, accepted, and you receive every dollar you deserve. We apologize again this has caused a delay in receiving your refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies