turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sabo1323
Returning Member

CA Resident and Nonresident Spouse

I recently moved to CA for work.  I was formerly an NV resident. (I would still like to be but I think CA will require me to be a CA resident) .  My spouse is an NV resident and will visit CA no more than a few days this year--I will visit NV almost every weekend.  My income is earned entirely in CA and her income is earned entirely in NV.  We file a joint federal return.  I have CA state income taxes withheld from my paycheck.

Even though her income is earned entirely in NV, will CA tax it?  Either as income or as community property?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

The issue in your situation is community property.  Since NV is a community property state, 1/2 of her NV income is attributable to you, and therefore taxable to you as a CA resident.  (CA taxes its residents on all income, regardless of source.)

If you're not sure about your CA residency, see this reference on CA's rules for determining residency status:  https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2018/18_1031.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
sabo1323
Returning Member

Thanks. So, as a hypothetical, if I earned $100,000 in CA-source income as a resident of CA and my wife earned $50,000 of NV-source income and is not a resident of CA, we would file a joint return in California and I would be taxed on $125,000? 

TomD8
Level 15

Correct.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
sabo1323
Returning Member

Hmmm. That is less than ideal.

Does CA allow pre-tax 401k contributions?  I.e., gross income was 100,000 but contributed 10,000 to 401k pre-tax, my taxable income is 90,000? And pre-tax commuter parking expenses?

TomD8
Level 15

California taxes are based on the information on your W-2 and your federal return.  Your 401K contributions are normally reported in Box 12 of your W-2, with code D, and are pre-tax.   The employee 401K contribution limit for 2019 is $19,000, which includes all elective employee salary referrals.  Most plans do not permit employee contributions outside of payroll.

Employers can offer a pre-tax commuter parking benefit.  See this IRS reference: https://www.irs.gov/government-entities/federal-state-local-governments/qualified-parking-fringe-ben...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies