Re: Am I elegible to get the renters credit if I p...

Am I elegible to get the renters credit if I pay lot rent for a mobile home in Indiana

No - since you are renting a piece of land for your mobile home and not an actual home itself,.

The instructions for the Indiana I-40 state:

You may be able to take the renter’s deduction if:

• You paid rent on your principal place of residence, and

• You rented a place that was subject to Indiana property tax.

Your “principal place of residence” is the place where you have your true, fixed, permanent home and where you intend to return after being absent. If you rented a manufactured home or paid rent for your manufactured home lot, you may claim the renter’s deduction if the above requirements are met. Rent paid for summer homes or vacation homes is not deductible. You cannot claim the renter’s deduction if the rental property was not subject to Indiana property tax. Examples of this type of property are: • Government owned housing, • Property owned by a nonprofit organization, • Student housing, • Property owned by a cooperative association, and • Property located outside of Indiana.