turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

403(b) disbursement taxes

In 2016, I took a partial disbursement from my 403(b) account.  According to TurboTax, I owe both NY state (where I work) and NJ (where I live) tax. Is this correct?  I was over 59 1/2 so no penalty, and I repeated this in 2017 and 2018.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, NY now taxes lump sum distributions that are NY sourced. So your distribution is taxable to NY and then NJ will tax you and give you a credit for the double taxation.

Your resident state taxes all income but gives a credit for income taxed by another state.  Please carefully follow these directions.

You will need to prepare the states in a special order. You may need to delete both states and begin again.

1. First, prepare your non-resident  return. This creates your tax liability for the non-resident state. How do I file a nonresident state return?
  2. THEN prepare your resident state return and it will generate a credit for your income already being taxed in the non-resident state.
  3. The credit will be the lower of the state tax liabilities on the same income. You may owe your resident state.

It isn't possible for the program to create a credit before it knows the liability. Your returns may be wrong if you do not prepare the states in this order.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. I knew there was reciprocity between NJ and NY, but wasn't seeing it on the disbursement tax. Will re-do in the order you say.   -

Rob

AmyC
Expert Alumni

It can be so frustrating. Glad I could help!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies