Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hanleycai

I kept my WI residency all of 2017 yet lived in CO with my husband for part of the year. I worked an internship in CO for three months. Where am I technically a resident?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JulieCo

I kept my WI residency all of 2017 yet lived in CO with my husband for part of the year. I worked an internship in CO for three months. Where am I technically a resident?

Please see my additional comment in my answer regarding whether you were a student during your time in Colorado.
hanleycai

Well I attended the University of Wisconsin and graduated on 8/19/17 after completion of my internship in Colorado. Since my husband wanted to come with me, he changed his car registration and license until we moved back to Wisconsin. We currently have plans to move back to Wisconsin in early March of this year. On the Colorado Department of Revenue website, it states that you become a resident after living here for 90 consecutive days. However, since we planned on moving back I never changed my license and car registration because it seemed irrelevant. My permanent address is still in Wisconsin and that is why I'm a little flustered as far as residency goes.
hanleycai

I wonder if it is important to note that I've been unemployed (not collecting unemployment) since 8/19/17 and have been full time job searching for jobs in Wisconsin.
JulieCo

Residency requirements can vary from state to state.  In your scenario, you may be considered a part-year resident of each state for 2017.  But if you lived in Colorado and worked there for part of the year, you will need to file a part-year return in Colorado for the income that you received there.  Plus, for your Wisconsin return, you can note that you were not there for the full year.  You can also have the Colorado income and taxes paid removed from your Wisconsin income.  

Also, please note that if you were a student in Colorado during your three months there, then you would not be considered a resident of Colorado (and would need to file as Non-Resident to get any Colorado withholding back.)  A student who is away at school is always considered a resident of their home state for tax purposes.   

Here are some examples of a resident, part-year resident and non-resident scenarios:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301816

Here is some information regarding filing a part-year resident tax return in TurboTax:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302008

And information on how taxes are calculated on part-year returns:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4777318

[Edited 1/29/17, 2:02 pm]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies