turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hfluss
Returning Member

Can I only e-file my state and not a second state (NY)?

I completed a resident NY return for my daughter, and a resident NJ for myself. I have no NY income, but TT H&B added a non-resident NY return for me. Can I get rid of the of the unneeded NY on my return? If not, can I only e-file NJ and Federal and ignore the NY? I want to e-file, but not send a return for no reason to NY.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes. However, TurboTax primarily determines which state tax returns you need to file based on what you enter on the PERSONAL INFO tab in TurboTax CD/Download (pay extra attention to Other State Income at the bottom of the screen) and related income sources, i.e. W-2, Form 1099-R, etc. Thus, you should review each of those areas in the program to determine whether you need to file the nonresident tax return.

Typically, a credit for taxes paid to another state is claimed on the resident state tax return for double-taxed income on the nonresident state tax return(s) (TurboTax may calculate automatically). After completing your federal tax return, you should allocate income and complete nonresident state tax return(s), first (if applicable) and the resident state tax return, last (if applicable).

If you are certain the NY state tax return does not apply, you may remove it. If you can't remove it for some reason and still don't believe you need to file it, you may select to file by mail and not actually mail it and you still should be able to e-file the other tax returns. Please review the following link(s) and the link(s) embedded on the webpage(s) for more information:

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes. However, TurboTax primarily determines which state tax returns you need to file based on what you enter on the PERSONAL INFO tab in TurboTax CD/Download (pay extra attention to Other State Income at the bottom of the screen) and related income sources, i.e. W-2, Form 1099-R, etc. Thus, you should review each of those areas in the program to determine whether you need to file the nonresident tax return.

Typically, a credit for taxes paid to another state is claimed on the resident state tax return for double-taxed income on the nonresident state tax return(s) (TurboTax may calculate automatically). After completing your federal tax return, you should allocate income and complete nonresident state tax return(s), first (if applicable) and the resident state tax return, last (if applicable).

If you are certain the NY state tax return does not apply, you may remove it. If you can't remove it for some reason and still don't believe you need to file it, you may select to file by mail and not actually mail it and you still should be able to e-file the other tax returns. Please review the following link(s) and the link(s) embedded on the webpage(s) for more information:

hfluss
Returning Member

I did indicate no NY income in the Personal Info section. However, I may have once accidentally clicked on Edit NY rather than NJ in the state taxes section. Regardless - how do I remove the NYS return?

Please review the first link in my answer.
hfluss
Returning Member

Thanks! Saw that after I commented, and it worked perfectly.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies