turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

teriguest

We have moved , I put a change of address in through post office.willthey forward W2's ? And part of income was unemployment.di you know where to change address

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

We have moved , I put a change of address in through post office.willthey forward W2's ? And part of income was unemployment.di you know where to change address

Please complete Form 8222, linked below, and mail it to the IRS at the address given in the instructions.  The form is "form-fillable", meaning that you can fill in the blanks directly through your computer.  The IRS will notify the Social Security Administration of your change of address.  If you live in a state with state income taxes, you'll need to also change your address with the Department of Revenue there.  Go to your state's DOR website to find out how to change your address there.  

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

Since the IRS is currently involved in the government shutdown, we can't know how soon the change of address will be officially registered.

As for your W-2 being forwarded by the postal service:  I'm not certain that they would forward a tax document.  I'd recommend notifying your employer of your change of address so that they can officially change your address.  Contact your Human Resources office for assistance.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Please complete Form 8222, linked below, and mail it to the IRS at the address given in the instructions.  The form is "form-fillable", meaning that you can fill in the blanks directly through your computer.  The IRS will notify the Social Security Administration of your change of address.  If you live in a state with state income taxes, you'll need to also change your address with the Department of Revenue there.  Go to your state's DOR website to find out how to change your address there.  

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

Since the IRS is currently involved in the government shutdown, we can't know how soon the change of address will be officially registered.

As for your W-2 being forwarded by the postal service:  I'm not certain that they would forward a tax document.  I'd recommend notifying your employer of your change of address so that they can officially change your address.  Contact your Human Resources office for assistance.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

To change your address for unemployment you have to contact your state's unemployment office. Some states do not mail the Form 1099-G for unemployment. If your state doesn't mail it, you have to access it on the state's unemployment web site.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies