turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

horvathbi

Do I have to file state income taxes in Indiana, if I only lived there for 1 and 1/2 months?

We moved from Pennsylvania after 10 and 1/2 months, and are living with our daughter until our new home is completed in April. I never registered in Indiana, and still have the Pa. tags on our cars.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NicoleU

Do I have to file state income taxes in Indiana, if I only lived there for 1 and 1/2 months?

Per Indiana, "if you were a part-year resident and received income while you lived in Indiana, you must file Indiana Form IT-40PNR, Part-Year Resident or Nonresident Individual Income Tax Return.

If you were a legal resident of another state (exception: see next paragraph) and had income from Indiana (except certain interest, dividends, or pension income), you must file Form IT-40PNR.

However, "if you were a full-year resident of Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Wisconsin, and your only income from Indiana was from wages, salaries, tips or commissions then you need to file Form IT-40RNR, Indiana Reciprocal Nonresident Individual Income Tax Return. Note: If you had any other type of income from Indiana, such as farm income, rental income, sole proprietor income, etc., you can't file Form IT-40RNR - you'll have to file the Form IT-40PNR"

For more information, please click the following Indiana Dept. of Revenue link: http://www.in.gov/dor/4732.htm

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies