turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In the section reporting my state refund, the next item requests all of my payments and withholding. What payments and withholding? Where do I find this information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

In the section reporting my state refund, the next item requests all of my payments and withholding. What payments and withholding? Where do I find this information?

Payments and withholding you made to the taxing agency that sent you the refund, in the year the refund applied to. In other words, if the refund was from the state for tax year 2016, report the state payments and withholding you reported on your 2016 tax return. 

The software is asking to determine if the refund is taxable on your 2017 return. If the refund is from your 2016 return and you used the standard deduction, it is not taxable. If you itemized, but took the state sales tax as a deduction, rather than the state income tax, the refund is not taxable. If you did itemize and took state income tax as a deduction on your schedule A, and now you have a refund of that tax, it may be taxable. If this is the situation you are in, the software needs to know the withholding and any other payments you made to the taxing authority (in your case the state) on your 2016 federal tax return. You can find this information on that year's Schedule A line 5a. Again, if 2016 Schedule A has line 5b, rather than 5a, the state refund is not taxable. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Payments and withholding you made to the taxing agency that sent you the refund, in the year the refund applied to. In other words, if the refund was from the state for tax year 2016, report the state payments and withholding you reported on your 2016 tax return. 

The software is asking to determine if the refund is taxable on your 2017 return. If the refund is from your 2016 return and you used the standard deduction, it is not taxable. If you itemized, but took the state sales tax as a deduction, rather than the state income tax, the refund is not taxable. If you did itemize and took state income tax as a deduction on your schedule A, and now you have a refund of that tax, it may be taxable. If this is the situation you are in, the software needs to know the withholding and any other payments you made to the taxing authority (in your case the state) on your 2016 federal tax return. You can find this information on that year's Schedule A line 5a. Again, if 2016 Schedule A has line 5b, rather than 5a, the state refund is not taxable. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies