turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

k9yjy

Part year resident of CA Nov-Dec 2016. Sold VA home-profit $200K. CA income was $0 in Nov- $7K in Dec 2016. TT says I owe CA about $335K for living 2 mo in CA. Why?

I can't determine where TT is picking up all the income to determine I owe CA about $335K when my CA income for 2016 was only $7K.  The $200K I made on sale of our Virginia home should not be used to calculate CA taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Part year resident of CA Nov-Dec 2016. Sold VA home-profit $200K. CA income was $0 in Nov- $7K in Dec 2016. TT says I owe CA about $335K for living 2 mo in CA. Why?

It sounds like you haven't allocated your income properly to Calif. Here's how it works in TT/Calif:

The Calif nonresident/part-year return, Form 540NR, computes your income and tax as if you were a resident the entire year, then computes a net tax rate by dividing the total tax by total taxable income. Your California-source taxable income is then multiplied by that net tax rate to determine your California tax. You can see this on Form 540NR lines 31-37.

So you do report everything but towards the end of the interview (Nonresident Adjustments) is where you allocate the California-source income which is multiplied by the net tax rate. See Form 540NR, lines 31 - 42 and Schedule CA(540NR). So for each federal income item on the left, be sure to enter only the Calif-source portion of that total: 1) all received while living in Calif, plus 2) income from a Calif-source (rental property there; property gain/loss located there; etc) while a nonresident, etc. If none, enter 0.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

It sounds like you haven't allocated your income properly to Calif. Here's how it works in TT/Calif:

The Calif nonresident/part-year return, Form 540NR, computes your income and tax as if you were a resident the entire year, then computes a net tax rate by dividing the total tax by total taxable income. Your California-source taxable income is then multiplied by that net tax rate to determine your California tax. You can see this on Form 540NR lines 31-37.

So you do report everything but towards the end of the interview (Nonresident Adjustments) is where you allocate the California-source income which is multiplied by the net tax rate. See Form 540NR, lines 31 - 42 and Schedule CA(540NR). So for each federal income item on the left, be sure to enter only the Calif-source portion of that total: 1) all received while living in Calif, plus 2) income from a Calif-source (rental property there; property gain/loss located there; etc) while a nonresident, etc. If none, enter 0.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies