ahoward31

Part-year resident for state returns, but earned no income in new state.

I moved from NY to GA but didn't work in GA in 2016. How do I answer the questions about interest income that apply to the whole year, and not one particular state? (Same with tuition deductions - I went to school all year; do I split it?) Do I need to fill out a Georgia state return if I earned no income there?
DexterS

It depends on what you are doing.

If you moved to GA to go to school, that's considered a "temporary absence".  It does not affect your NY residency.

You would not file a GA tax return unless you earned income.

If your intent is to move to GA permanently, then you have to file two Part-year Resident tax returns, splitting the income and expenses between the two states based upon the date you changed your residence.

ahoward31

Thank you! It's actually kind of both. Georgia is my new permanent residence, but I am still job-hunting and have earned no income. Does that mean two part-year returns, but with no income to report?
DexterS

No, if you've earned no income since you moved to GA you have no filing requirement.