turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxfuck

California Schedule CA line 5a; amount shown by TT for state taxes is above amount of state tax withholding and actual tax due; Is this correct? Should it be corrected?

Cal state tax withheld = $19K

Cal state tax owed - $17K

Yet amount shown on line 5a columns A and B on TT return says state tax = $20K.

Why the discrepancy?  Is it wrong?  If so, how do I fix it.

I do not file in any other states.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

California Schedule CA line 5a; amount shown by TT for state taxes is above amount of state tax withholding and actual tax due; Is this correct? Should it be corrected?

Yeah, glad I could help!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
taxfuck

Thanks maglib.  This is the first yr using TT.  I received nice state tax refunds in prior 2 years, so I don't think that explains discrepancy.
taxfuck

And I did not pay estimated tax.  Amount in TT is above both 2018 state withholding (paid) and state tax owed.

That is not just your state income tax for 2018.  That is to adjust the federal schedule A.  It includes all state taxes you paid in 2018.  

Or it could be the sales tax instead of income tax.  Look at federal schedule A and see if it matches the deduction on schedule A.  Oh it should include CA SDI in box 14 or 19 on your W2.
taxfuck

Ohhhh.  The Cal SDI tax in box 14 explains the discrepancy.  Thanks!  Really appreciate the help.

Yeah, glad I could help!

maglib
Level 11

did you pay any estimated taxes or state taxes owed with your prior years return?
Line 5a – State and Local Taxes
California does not allow a deduction for state and local income tax (including
limited partnership tax and income or franchise tax paid by corporations) and
State Disability Insurance (SDI ) or state and local general sales tax. Enter that
amount on line 5a, column B
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies