turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

burnofrug

On my Maryland state tax return it is requesting the MD county that my spouse lived in but we were not married when I lived in Maryland. How do I properly fill this out?

My spouse lived in Washington state the whole year and we didn't get married until October of 2017. I became a Washington resident in May of 2017. She wasn't a resident of Maryland nor did she receive income in Maryland. Should I just leave the county blank as it is only populating Maryland counties in the drop down?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Karen1209

On my Maryland state tax return it is requesting the MD county that my spouse lived in but we were not married when I lived in Maryland. How do I properly fill this out?

Please see this part-year resident brochure from the MD Comptroller.  Item #7 on page 2 addresses a nonresident spouse.

[Edited 2/7/18|4:58PM]

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Karen1209

Please see this part-year resident brochure from the MD Comptroller.  Item #7 on page 2 addresses a nonresident spouse.

[Edited 2/7/18|4:58PM]

Karen1209

@burnofrug
Please see update.
burnofrug

Thank you for that. The next question is, how do I accomplish this via turbotax? I doesn't give me the options to file my state taxes accordingly.
Karen1209

Near the beginning of the state interview, you'll come to a screen that says, "We've recommended a residency status."
  • To enter inTurboTax, please follow the steps below:

• Near the beginning of the state interview, you'll come to a section that says, "We recommend a Residency Status" (see screenshot).  Yours may look a little different.
    • Click Change Residency.
    • Continue through the pages and you will come to Additional Info for Part-Year Residents.
    • Enter your non-MD income and your spouse's income.
    [Edited 2/7/18|7:12PM]
burnofrug

Thank you or the information and those are the steps I was following. My wife was not a Maryland resident, nor lived in Maryland, nor made any income in Maryland for all of the year. When I go to review my state form there is a validation error because it is requiring me to pick a Maryland county for my wife; which is wrong. This goes back to my original question: should I leave the drop down blank for her Maryland county?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies