turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On-line teaching for the University of California;living in VA. no state taxes deducted. No state ID number on W-2. Do we need to file in California?

Husband is an adjunct professor teaching an on-line course for the University of California. He did not have any state taxes taken out of his pay. He received a W-2 without an Employer’s state ID number. We also moved from Virginia to Colorado during the year. Do we need to file in California? Do we have to divide income between VA & CO?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

On-line teaching for the University of California;living in VA. no state taxes deducted. No state ID number on W-2. Do we need to file in California?

Yes, you would need to file a California Non-Resident return because he received California sourced income (income from a CA source). 

As far as dividing the income between VA and CO. I would do it by where he lived when he earned the income. I would report the amounts earned while living in CO as CO income and the same with VA.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeeM

Yes, you would need to file a California Non-Resident return because he received California sourced income (income from a CA source). 

As far as dividing the income between VA and CO. I would do it by where he lived when he earned the income. I would report the amounts earned while living in CO as CO income and the same with VA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies