turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On a Connecticut tax return, what is put in the Federal Tax-Exempt Interest and Dividends box? Where do I find those amounts? Is this the 1099_DIV and my ROTH amounts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

On a Connecticut tax return, what is put in the Federal Tax-Exempt Interest and Dividends box? Where do I find those amounts? Is this the 1099_DIV and my ROTH amounts?

Your 1099-DIV may have federal exempt income in box 10.

If you are on Schedule 1 line 32, CT is looking for exempt interest dividends from NON CT state or municipal government obligations. This would be income that is tax exempt on the federal but non CT sources are included in CT income.

Your ROTH distribution should not be related to this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
anacamuli

Amy,  I think the software is not excluding from line 32 tax exempt interest dividends marked as attributable to CT and the US territories (in the questionnaire).  Can you please confirm whether the software is acting properly?  Thanks.

The original answer is from 2020.  Am I correct that the required figure is on Line/box 11 for 2021?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@GetAGrip  You are correct - exempt interest dividends are entered in box 11 of the 1099-DIV for 2021.

Thank you Robert!

frankct

On my federal return I spelled out the amounts for CT tax exempt interest and the multi state interest. Unfortunately the on-line version is not passing the multiple state amounts and therefore the addition to my CT income is understated on the state return.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax Online, try these steps:

1. Enter Dividend on Box 1d
  2. After entering Box 1d, Click on " my Form has info in other boxes" below box 2a.
  3. Enter any OID Bond Premium on the INT in box 13 as tax-exempt. That gets it into the 1040 data.
  4. Scroll down on the same page to  State taxes
  5. Chose CT and complete Box 15 and Box 16 if applicable.

See the Screenshot below::

@frankct 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies