zdragon007

On a Connecticut tax return, what is put in the Federal Tax-Exempt Interest and Dividends box? Where do I find those amounts? Is this the 1099_DIV and my ROTH amounts?

AmyC

Your 1099-DIV may have federal exempt income in box 10.

If you are on Schedule 1 line 32, CT is looking for exempt interest dividends from NON CT state or municipal government obligations. This would be income that is tax exempt on the federal but non CT sources are included in CT income.

Your ROTH distribution should not be related to this.

anacamuli

Amy,  I think the software is not excluding from line 32 tax exempt interest dividends marked as attributable to CT and the US territories (in the questionnaire).  Can you please confirm whether the software is acting properly?  Thanks.