Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NY Non-Resident Filing

I worked only the first week of 2021 in NY, retiring on January 8.  I received a W-2 form for the wages I earned during that period.  I did not have any other non-wage earned/passive income from NY sources during that period.  Do I need to report any other non-wages/earned income that are non-NY sources on my IT-203 Non-Resident form?  The only non wage/earned income I received from a New York source was tax-exempt interest from a qualified  NY municipal bond, and that was paid out after January 8?   

Additionally, income under the IT-203 form shows a left column for federal amounts and a right column for New York amount only.  Would I show the full year earned incomes under the federal column (e.g., interest, dividends, pensions, IRA distributions, etc.) or a amounts earned just during the period January 1-8, and zero for the right-hand column for NY amounts? 

Appreciate advice on this from a tax expert. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

NY Non-Resident Filing

You only have to enter that one week's pay into the return.  Most important, that one week's pay has to be more than $8,000 to require you to file a New York return.  Although, if they with held any money you have to file a return to get it back.  But TurboTax will charge you to file and that might be more than was with held.  

Either way, the right hand column is your total federal income for the year.  New York uses that to compute the amount that they charge you on the amount that is taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

NY Non-Resident Filing

Thank you Robert B444 for getting back to me. Your answer confirms my understanding.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies