turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hunter563

Do I file a return in the state I moved to during the year with an income tax, when my only income was earned in the state I moved from with no income tax?

State I moved from (State 1) has no income tax, so there is no return to file.

State I moved to (State 2) has income tax, but, all my income was in State 1.  Do I need to file a return in State 2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Do I file a return in the state I moved to during the year with an income tax, when my only income was earned in the state I moved from with no income tax?

Not unless you earned income State 1 while living in State 2. States with income tax will tax you on all of your income while you are a resident, no matter where it came from.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Not unless you earned income State 1 while living in State 2. States with income tax will tax you on all of your income while you are a resident, no matter where it came from.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I retired in Texas (no state income tax) in May and moved to SC (state income tax) in July.  I had no wages after May, but did have investment income.  TurboTax is counting all of my income as income in SC, even though I indicated the move and move date in the Personal Info section.  How do I remove the wages from the SC return and split the investment income?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies