Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can i find amount of tax actually paid to non-resident state to include as a credit on resident states return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Where can i find amount of tax actually paid to non-resident state to include as a credit on resident states return?

Did you prepare the non-resident state return?  You should prepare that return first and then the information will transfer to the "other state tax credit" topic on your resident state return.  

You need to enter the amount of tax paid to the nonresident state and the only way to know that number is to prepare the non-resident state return first and then complete your resident state return.

thank you jenny. i have prepared the non-resident state return first, then prepared the resident state. i see where to enter the amount of tax paid to the non-resident state, but i am unable to see that amount because i can't view a pdf of my return. also, how can i choose the resident state long form?

Can you tell me the nonresident state you are trying to file?  The interview screens are a little different depending on the state.

non-resident is california, resident is virginia.

New tactic:

Look to the left hand panel -- do you see CA tax summary?  Click on that and look at the total tax number there.

Ok I will look for that. Is the credit a number taken from VA and input into CA (non-resident) or vice-versa? I live in Virginia, but made money in CA. (employer put CA on w2).

and i do see that number.

The credit is calculated based on the amount that is taxed by both CA and VA.

If you lived in Virginia, you claim the other state tax credit on the VA return.  You will need to enter the amount of income earned in CA (reported on the W2) and the total tax for CA (the value from the CA tax summary).  The credit is calculated using those values -- your VA tax will be reduced by the amount of tax you paid to CA on the same income.

When I do this it shows an error on schedule OSC (VA) and says that I can not claim the credit for that state.

Sorry, I just reviewed the rules for VA and CA.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.tax.virginia.gov/credit-for-taxes-paid-to-another-state">https://www.tax.virginia.gov/cr...>

So go to your CA return and enter the amount of total income for VA (from the VA tax summary) and the total tax for VA.

Okay. So this now gives me a refund with CA and a balance due with VA where is was a balance due with both before.  Does this sound correct?

Did you have a lot withheld for CA reported on the W2?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies