Nominee recipient for 1099 MISC for California res...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drichard989

Nominee recipient for 1099 MISC for California resident

I am a Washington resident, I do not have any income myself that is subject to California tax. However I received a 1099-misc from an old address that is really for another person (my brother) (old address is parents house). Dealing with this on a fed level is pretty easy (issue 1099 to my brother and note that on fed return), however how do I do it for California. Do I have to file a 540nr with CA showing this? there is no withholding on the 1099 so was it even reported to CA? The tax would be paid either way however I would really rather not file a 540nr for myself if I don't have to

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Do I have to file a 540nr with CA showing this?

A. No. CA starts with the federal AGI.  Since your Fed AGI does not include the 1099-Misc amount, you have no CA source income to report.

Q. Was it even reported to CA? 

A. Probably not.  Even if it was, you open a bigger can of worms trying to report it on form 540NR, than just explaining it later if you do get a CA tax inquiry (unlikely). 

TomD8
Level 15

<<...really for another person (my brother)...>>

Whose SSN is on the 1099-MISC - yours or your brother's?  The IRS computers will look for a matching entry on the tax return of whoever's SSN is on the 1099-MISC.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

Hal_Al
Level 15

<<..."Nominee recipient for 1099 MISC"  "Dealing with this on a fed level is pretty easy (issue 1099 to my brother and note that on fed return)"...>>

How and where did you note that on the federal return?  Was the amount in box 3 or box 7?  How did this happen (a 1099-Misc for your brother came in your name and SS#)?

The chances of a problem with the CA tax people are minuscule compared to you chances of a problem with the federal IRS. 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings