turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband has a drivers license in NC, because I am active duty stationed in NC. My state of residence is CO. He does not have any income. Do we have to file in NC?

I am filing a CO return, but it keeps wanting me to file NC as well since he is a resident in NC although he makes no income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My husband has a drivers license in NC, because I am active duty stationed in NC. My state of residence is CO. He does not have any income. Do we have to file in NC?

No, you will not need to file a North Carolina return.  Since you are active-duty military your income is only reportable to Colorado and nowhere else.  Since neither you nor he have North Carolina income, there is nothing to report there.

Military Spouse residency can always be a tricky subject, and here is an FAQ that can help you understand how it works if you are stationed elsewhere in the future:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

No, you will not need to file a North Carolina return.  Since you are active-duty military your income is only reportable to Colorado and nowhere else.  Since neither you nor he have North Carolina income, there is nothing to report there.

Military Spouse residency can always be a tricky subject, and here is an FAQ that can help you understand how it works if you are stationed elsewhere in the future:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies