turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in NC full time. Receive 1099 from Virginia Teacher Retirement. No other "income" from Virginia. No Virginia taxes taken out. Do I have to file a Virginia returnll

I have filed previously as a nonresident, but it seems to be a waste of money and a real headache (especially confusion in Turbo Tax this year). My Virginia return has always said 0 taxes owed to Virginia for the last 9 years.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in NC full time. Receive 1099 from Virginia Teacher Retirement. No other "income" from Virginia. No Virginia taxes taken out. Do I have to file a Virginia returnll

No...You do not file in VA for that.

Retirement income on a 1099-R is only income for the state you are living in.

The only time that "some" of it might be taxed by a different state is if you actually move your primacy residence to a different state during the year.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No...You do not file in VA for that.

Retirement income on a 1099-R is only income for the state you are living in.

The only time that "some" of it might be taxed by a different state is if you actually move your primacy residence to a different state during the year.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies