Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i have to file nonresident Massachusetts tax return if i was taxed as NY. For years my Massachusetts employer sent w2 with State as MA and I had to file a MA return. In 2016 they changed it so box 15 shows NY. Do I need to file with MA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Do i have to file nonresident Massachusetts tax return if i was taxed as NY. For years my Massachusetts employer sent w2 with State as MA and I had to file a MA return. In 2016 they changed it so box 15 shows NY. Do I need to file with MA?

No. If you are a resident of NY, you will not need to file an MA nonresident state income tax return for income that is taxed in NY as NY source income (regardless of if the company is located in MA).

Just file an NY resident state income tax return to report your W-2 wage income.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DS30

what is your state of residence?

New York
DS30

No. If you are a resident of NY, you will not need to file an MA nonresident state income tax return for income that is taxed in NY as NY source income (regardless of if the company is located in MA).

Just file an NY resident state income tax return to report your W-2 wage income.

Thank You!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies