turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rauldominguezs
Returning Member

My daughter made only $400 in Virginia. Does she need to file a State Tax Return for Virginia?

My daughter is a College student. She worked in Florida and South Carolina in 2015. She made only $400 in Virginia. Does she need to file a State Tax Return for Virginia? She has to file a Federal Tax return because she made over $8000 in Florida but Florida has no State Taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

My daughter made only $400 in Virginia. Does she need to file a State Tax Return for Virginia?

No, a Virginia income tax return is not required.  The Virginia filing requirements are listed here for your convenience.  As you can see she is below the filing requirement for a single filer.

She should file only South Carolina if required.

Residents (including dependents and students) must file an individual income tax return if:

• Single, and Virginia adjusted gross income is $11,950 or more
  • Married, filing a joint or combined return, and total Virginia adjusted gross income for both spouses is $23,900 or more
  • Married, filing a separate return, and Virginia adjusted gross income is $11,950 or more

Virginia adjusted gross income is your federal adjusted gross income (from your federal income tax return) plus any Virginia additions, minus the Age Deduction and any Virginia subtractions. Complete lines 1-9 on Form 760 to compute your Virginia adjusted gross income. Virginia adjusted gross income does not include standard or itemized deductions, the child and dependent care expense deduction, personal exemptions or other deductions from income.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What was her 2015 legal state of residence?
rauldominguezs
Returning Member

South Carolina
DianeW
Expert Alumni

No, a Virginia income tax return is not required.  The Virginia filing requirements are listed here for your convenience.  As you can see she is below the filing requirement for a single filer.

She should file only South Carolina if required.

Residents (including dependents and students) must file an individual income tax return if:

• Single, and Virginia adjusted gross income is $11,950 or more
  • Married, filing a joint or combined return, and total Virginia adjusted gross income for both spouses is $23,900 or more
  • Married, filing a separate return, and Virginia adjusted gross income is $11,950 or more

Virginia adjusted gross income is your federal adjusted gross income (from your federal income tax return) plus any Virginia additions, minus the Age Deduction and any Virginia subtractions. Complete lines 1-9 on Form 760 to compute your Virginia adjusted gross income. Virginia adjusted gross income does not include standard or itemized deductions, the child and dependent care expense deduction, personal exemptions or other deductions from income.

rauldominguezs
Returning Member

Thank you for the information!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies