jai579

NJ State Tax Returns

I work in NY and Reside in NJ. So, I have two entries for NJ, NJ when filling the W2 form. when filling NJ Tax info, in "Let's Confirm Your Taxable State Wages" page, I have 2 entries for NY and NJ.

I selected the check box for "Remove these wages" for NY and left NJ alone. Is that correct?
ChristinaS

NJ State Tax Returns

Correct. You can avoid double-taxation on the NJ return by choosing 1 of 2 methods:

1. Enter both the NY and NJ wages when inputting the W2. Remove the NY wages in the NJ interview. This is the option you are choosing.
  2. Add the NY wages on the W2 as what they are. Add the NJ wages as the difference (the extra amount that NJ taxes). Ex: If NJ wages are $85,000 and Fed/ NY are $80,000, add just $5000 for NJ. Don't remove either in the NJ interview.

Either approach will make the NJ wages the higher amount that is reported for NJ on the W2.