Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Need to file renters rebate for Minnesota

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

52 Replies
Heather14

Have you already filed your state tax return?

Yes I did and was unable to go back into turbo tax and no prompts to file renters

The form M1PR needs to be mailed in with your renter's certificate, since you already filed your return you can go to the following website for instructions & the form. 

http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/individuals/prop_tax_refund/Pages/Renters_Property_Tax_Refund.aspx

---------------------------------------------------

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300669

Rsschmre

Yes

MN RENT CREDIT

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899893-can-i-file-my-m1pr-minnesota-property-tax-refund-through-t...

To check the status of the rent credit in MN

http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/individuals/individ_income/pages/draft-wmr-context-page.aspx

To obtain the refund, the taxpayer must have a CRP, Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP), for each rental unit lived in during the year. The taxpayer's landlord is required to deliver a completed CRP to the taxpayer no later than January 31st of each year.

You will need the CRP to determine your refund, if any, and you must include what is called a Form M1PR with the CRP when it is filed. These forms have to be printed and mailed in to:

Minnesota Property Tax Refund
St. Paul, MN 55145-0020

TurboTax will prepare the Form M1PR for you to print. Towards the end of the step-by-step interview for Minnesota you will reach the Other Forms You May Need screen. To have the M1PR prepared and made available for printing, make sure you check the Property Tax Refund (Form M1PR) check box on the Other Forms You May Need screen, then follow the prompts through the end of the interview.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Sweeber08

How do I fill for my renters rebate

For MN?  Please scroll up in the thread you just posted to.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

How do I file my own renter rebate online

Scroll up in the thread you posted to. MN?? Your rent credit has to be mailed.

I need to file renters rebate for the year2018. And can I still file one for 2017 I never filed one that year.

The due date is August 15. If the due date falls on a weekend or legal holiday, your return is due by the next business day. Get the forms from the state site and mail the 2017 ASAP ... the 2018 can be done online on the state web site.

You may file Form M1PR and claim a refund for up to one year after the original due date. If you file later, you will not receive a refund.

Can I file my M1PR (Minnesota Property Tax Refund) through TurboTax?

Yes, you can paper-file your M1PR when you prepare your Minnesota taxes in TurboTax. We'll make sure you qualify, calculate your Minnesota property tax refund, and fill out an M1PR form which you can print and mail.

As you're preparing your Minnesota taxes, look for the Other Forms You May Need screen (towards the end of the interview, past the estimated taxes and extension topics). Check the first box and follow the onscreen instructions.

After the State Elections Campaign Fund and Nongame Wildlife Fund screens, you'll come to the Filing instructions screen. Click or tap Print Form M1PR and mail the printout by August 15 to:

Minnesota Property Tax Refund 
St. Paul, MN 55145-0020

Tip: You can also file your M1PR free of charge at the MN Dept. of Revenue Property Tax Refund site, and if you're a homeowner, you can e-file it through the MN DOR's Property Tax Refund Online Filing System.

Related Information:

kkunz69
Returning Member

• Yes my boyfriend & i both have to file our renters rebate

Yes

@kkunz69  @Cspoon69  

You posted to a thread about filing your MN rent credit.  Did you read the information in the thread--the information easily available directly above the place where you posted "Yes"?  Return to the thread you posted in and read what is said in the thread.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies