Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

My W2 shows that I paid CA taxes, and will get a refund from CA. I am a NM resident, & the W2 did not have NM taxes taken out. Turbo shows I'm getting a NM refund? HOW?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MiriamF

New Mexico gives you a credit for taxes you paid to another state. You evidently are getting a credit for taxes paid to California.

If you don't want that credit, you will need to make an adjustment to your NM return, eliminating that tax credit.

This is how to eliminate the credit in TurboTax:

1. As you proceed through the NM interview, you will come to a screen titled Credit for Taxes Paid to Other States. (See the screenshot below.)
  2. If you don't want credit for your California income taxes, you can enter $0 for Taxes paid to California on Double-Taxed Income. (See the second screenshot.)

Your other alternative would be to leave well enough alone, and next year, report the California refund as income to be taxed in NM.

Thank you Miriam, Your expertise has both enlightened and I found to be very educational.
You found me a refund where I was not expecting
One thanks again