Solved: My spouse works part time for a firm in MI with state taxes, but we reside in FL full time. We are filing joint Federal, but how can I just file her for MI state taxes?

terryaschroeder

My spouse works part time for a firm in MI with state taxes, but we reside in FL full time. We are filing joint Federal, but how can I just file her for MI state taxes?

IsabellaG

Does she actually earn the money in Michigan, or does she work in Florida for a Michigan company? Because if she isn't physically present in Michigan to work, the employer shouldn't be withholding state tax for her. 

If that's the case, you should file a nonresident return and indicate that none of the wages were earned in Michigan.

Either way, Michigan requires that if you file a joint return for your federal taxes, you must file a joint return for Michigan. You would file as nonresidents, and on the pages that follow, you'll indicate how much of each income is from Michigan. 

IsabellaG