teacher20000

My son is in the civil air patrol. can we deduct fees?

jerry2000
Alumni

Fees for what?
teacher20000

Fees to join the group, for weekend excursions, encampment
Coleen3

No, you can't deduct them. Even if your son were doing his own return, he is a volunteer. The only deduction would be below.

The IRS has ruled that CAP and its subordinate units are exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. This makes donations to CAP eligible for deductions from income by donors as “charitable contributions” to the extent allowed by law.

scruffydewdrop

If I wanted to deduct the cost of the CAP uniform, how do I enter it into Turbo Tax?  Is it an 'item' donation?
adamsmoney

The following is quoted from IRS Revenue Ruling 58-279 which is found at 1958-23 IRB 12 (this will have meaning to your tax advisor): "Held, since the organization [CAP] is a qualified donee under section 170(c) of the [Internal Revenue] Code, the taxpayer may, to the extent of the limitations prescribed in section 170, deduct the nonreimbursed, out-of-pocket expenses directly attributable to the performance of such volunteer services, such as those incurred by the taxpayer for the operation, maintenance, and repair of a personally owned aircraft, automobile, communication system, and telescope, as well as those similarly incurred for the purchase and maintenance of distinctive uniforms which the taxpayer is required to wear while engaged in the official Civil Air Patrol activities and is prohibited from wearing except on such occasions. Such expenses are deductible as contributions "for the use of" that organization.