akhilg96

My resident state is VA but filed a non-resident CA tax return. Why aren't 100% of CA taxes that were withheld not being refunded? I thought I only owe taxes to VA?

92% of the CA tax withheld is being refunded. However, I don't understand why that 8% is not being returned as well. Is there some rule that the state where I worked is eligible for tax money as well?

TomD8

Yes.  Except for active duty military pay, CA (like other states) can tax you as a non-resident for any California-source income.  For example, income you earned by physically working in CA, or rental income from a property located in CA.

Your state of residence can also tax your out-of-state income, but normally you can take a credit on your home state return for taxes paid to a non-resident state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

TomD8

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing