Solved: My resident state is VA but filed a non-resident CA tax return. Why aren't 100% of CA taxes that were withheld not being refunded? I thought I only owe taxes to VA?

My resident state is VA but filed a non-resident CA tax return. Why aren't 100% of CA taxes that were withheld not being refunded? I thought I only owe taxes to VA?

92% of the CA tax withheld is being refunded. However, I don't understand why that 8% is not being returned as well. Is there some rule that the state where I worked is eligible for tax money as well?

Yes.  Except for active duty military pay, CA (like other states) can tax you as a non-resident for any California-source income.  For example, income you earned by physically working in CA, or rental income from a property located in CA.

Your state of residence can also tax your out-of-state income, but normally you can take a credit on your home state return for taxes paid to a non-resident state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**