turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mskreddy

My previous employer issued W2 for the retirement funds with earnings showed for previous state than my current state

Hi,

I worked for a company in CA till 1/15/2019 and I got laid-off. All of the wages that I received from 1/1/2019 to 1/15/2019 have been reported to CA state.  I moved to TX from 1/1/19 (since I got lay-off notice in November of 2018) and stayed in TX through 3/24/19. While I am in TX, I received some of the defferred Compensation (Retirement funds) payment in February 2019 and my past employer reported them as wages earned in CA state. Should I report the deferred compensation retirement funds as income in TX or CA?

Thank you,

Sivakumar.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

My previous employer issued W2 for the retirement funds with earnings showed for previous state than my current state

If you are receiving retirement income from a business in your old state but you move to a new state, federal law says that your new state can tax your retirement income, but your old state can't.

That being said, since it was reported as California income, I recommend that you first try to contact your previous employer and have them amend the W2 or 1099R (whichever is how it was reported to you.)

If you cannot get it amended you will need to either include that income, as reported, on your California part year resident return, or consider it, correctly,  as Texas income, but be prepared to prove to the State of California that it was received while you were a resident of Texas.

Here is a link with more information:  Taxes and Moving to another state

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mskreddy

Thank you Karen. Really appreciate your time and help.

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

You are Welcome!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies