My permanent residence is Mississippi. I work as a travel nurse. My company lists PA as state taxes paid; how do file this and how do I ensure Mississippi is paid also?

You will need to file a nonresident PA return to claim a refund of the taxes paid there.  If you do not work in PA you should be able to have all of the withheld taxes refunded to you.

You will also need to file a Mississippi resident return.  When you do you will report all income regardless of where it was earned.  You will probably have a balance due since your withholding was not sent to Mississippi.  

If you do not perform any work in Pennsylvania you might want to talk with your employer and request Mississippi taxes be withheld instead of Pennsylvania taxes.  If your company is not set up to withhold and submit Mississippi taxes see if they will stop withholding PA taxes so you do not have to file two state returns in the future.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing