turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My official residence is Connecticut, but I also lived in NY from December through February, and since then I've been living in NJ. What residences do I put down?

By 'official residence,' I mean the residence on my driver's license.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

My official residence is Connecticut, but I also lived in NY from December through February, and since then I've been living in NJ. What residences do I put down?

Where was your main, permanent home as of 12/31/2019?  (Your state of residence for tax purposes is not determined by your drivers license.)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

In NY

TomD8
Level 15

If your domicile was in New York at the end of 2019, then for purposes of your 2019 tax return, you would enter NY as your State of Residence in the personal info section of TT.

If you moved into NY from another state during 2019 (you changed your domicile to NY), or if you earned money in another state during 2019, also indicate those facts in the personal info section.

See this for the definition of domicilehttps://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/pit_definitions.htm 

If you leave your domicile temporarily, for example to attend school in another state, and you intend to return, then your domicile does not change.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies