turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Duncbaseball
Returning Member

My nonresidency change in 2020 to remote but my company kept my residency as Maryland and deducted taxes for 4 months of the year in Maryland. How do I claim this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

My nonresidency change in 2020 to remote but my company kept my residency as Maryland and deducted taxes for 4 months of the year in Maryland. How do I claim this?

You would need to file a part year or non resident return for MD removing the income allocated to MD for 2021 for MD, this will show no income but taxes paid so you would get a refund of your taxes paid. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Firstlady621
Returning Member

Can I do this at any time or would I have to wait until I file next year's taxes?

@Firstlady621  - can you please elaborate?

what state are you PHYSICALLY working in? 

what state are you residing in?

are you an W-2 employee or a contractor?

where is the employer?  

Firstlady621
Returning Member

Retired last year from employer in Maryland.  Retired from a W-2 employer.   Moved to Virginia in January 2022 where I currently reside.

@Firstlady621  - for 2022, you reside in VA and do not work.  why do you think you would have to file in MD?

Firstlady621
Returning Member

I forgot to change my state withholding to Virginia when I moved so I've continued to have Maryland State taxes withdrawn from my pension without thinking.  I just received a notice regarding another change in my pension and realized I never changed my state withholding to Virginia!

@Firstlady621  - okay. so you will need to complete a MD tax return (non-resident) to get the withholdings back.  

then when you file in VA (resident), all the income will show there.  you'll probably owe.  

be sure to stop the MD withholdings before the year ends!

Firstlady621
Returning Member

Thanks for the information!  Much appreciated!  Can't believe I forgot that little matter until now!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies