all22590

My husband works in Delaware. We live in New Jersey. After putting in our information, it says DE is giving us a $195 refund, but we owe NJ $1246! Why?

He works with three other people who also live in NJ and say that their DE refund and what they owe to NJ are usually around the same amount and wash out.  Am I doing something wrong?  Why is there such a significant difference?

re2boys

Answered in comments.

re2boys

Check that your NJ return contains a Schedule A where you receive credit for income taxes paid to another jurisdiction, namely DE.
all22590

You're a life saver!  It was counting the income twice since it's listed on the W2 as NJ and DE for the same amount.  Thank you!
re2boys

Answered in comments.