gwenny_2007

My husband has a drivers license in NC, because I am active duty stationed in NC. My state of residence is CO. He does not have any income. Do we have to file in NC?

I am filing a CO return, but it keeps wanting me to file NC as well since he is a resident in NC although he makes no income.

DanielV01

No, you will not need to file a North Carolina return.  Since you are active-duty military your income is only reportable to Colorado and nowhere else.  Since neither you nor he have North Carolina income, there is nothing to report there.

Military Spouse residency can always be a tricky subject, and here is an FAQ that can help you understand how it works if you are stationed elsewhere in the future:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300

DanielV01