My husband and i live in north carolina, he works in virginia and i work in northcarolina and have my own business. do i need to claim my business income on my va state tax returne when filing a joint return?

It depends but if you are permanent residents of NC, you will only need to file a VA nonresident state income tax return and only report VA sourced income on your VA nonresident state income tax return. If your only source of VA income is your spouse's wages, then you will only need to report that income on your VA nonresident state income tax return.

However, if you actually performed work for your self-employment business in VA, then you will also need to report that portion of your business income that is considered VA sourced (for work performed in VA) on your nonresident VA state income tax return.

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your nonresident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations and credits to your resident states return.

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)