Solved: My husband and I are MFJ. He lived and worked in CA all 2016. I moved to CA from CO in 6/2016. I didn't work. Do we need to report some of his income as earned in CO?

ldupont

My husband and I are MFJ. He lived and worked in CA all 2016. I moved to CA from CO in 6/2016. I didn't work. Do we need to report some of his income as earned in CO?

My husband and I are MFJ.  He lived and worked in CA all of 2016 and I moved to CA from CO in 6/2016.  I did not work in 2016.  Do I need to report some of his income as earned in CO since I lived there for 5 months since we are filing jointly or can I enter 0, since I didn't have any income and he didn't work or live in CO all of 2016?  We sold our house in CO in 5/2016. Would we just be responsible for paying CA state income tax?

Patrice

No, you would not report any of his earned income in CO because he did not actually work in the state of CO at anytime. You would report his income on a CA return since that is where he lived and worked.  However, you will have to report the sale of your house on a CO state return and you may be subject to capital gain taxes in CO for the sale of the home. 

Patrice

ldupont

Wonderful.  Thank you so much.