turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mpster

My daughter worked at internship in Maryland for 2 months. She had to live in apartment during that time, is this deductible? She needs to files but is still a dependent

I know she needs to file her own return but we will still be claiming her as a dependent.  We paid form her expenses, apartment, food etc and she used her internship salary to reimburse us. We also paid for an online summer college class that she took at her school while working.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

My daughter worked at internship in Maryland for 2 months. She had to live in apartment during that time, is this deductible? She needs to files but is still a dependent

Room and board, or the equivalent, paid during any educational program, including an internship, is not a tax-deductible expense.

Tuition and fees for the summer online course, if part of your dependent's degree program, would be included with all other qualified tuition and fees for the tax year in determining the student's educational tax credits or deduction.

For more information, please see IRS Pub. 970 Tax Benefits for Education.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Room and board, or the equivalent, paid during any educational program, including an internship, is not a tax-deductible expense.

Tuition and fees for the summer online course, if part of your dependent's degree program, would be included with all other qualified tuition and fees for the tax year in determining the student's educational tax credits or deduction.

For more information, please see IRS Pub. 970 Tax Benefits for Education.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies