jamiejacques

Moving Expenses

July 2019 my job offer me a promotion and the new position required  that I move from California to Massachussets. The company paid for moving expenses but they were included as income as part of wages under box 1. It also reflects on box 14. I know the new rules do not give a deduction per federal return, but can I get a deduction under Massachussets state?

JotikaT2

Moving Expenses

Yes.  

Massachusetts allows a deduction for moving expenses.  But as a part-year resident, your expenses may be prorated based upon your dates of residence.

You will still need to enter the moving expenses in the federal section of the program.

1. Select Deductions & Credits 
  2. Select All tax breaks and scroll down until you see Other Deductions and Credits 
  3. Select Moving Expenses 
  4. Proceed to go through the screens and enter the information as applicable 

jamiejacques

Moving Expenses

Great news..... Thank You!

jamiejacques

Moving Expenses

Can we ask one more question here?  With the Turbo Tax software automatically prorate the amount or will we need to do that manually before entering the amounts?

DaveF1006

Moving Expenses

According to this Turbo Tax reference, you will apply all moving expenses to the state you moved to, which would be Massachusetts. There are no allocations to be made.