turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cbliv1

Moved to CO 05/17/2017 from CA, how much of my pension is taxable to CA and how much is taxable to CO

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Moved to CO 05/17/2017 from CA, how much of my pension is taxable to CA and how much is taxable to CO

If you received the pension equally throughout the year you can do a simple proration by taking the total gross pension, dividing it by 12 and then multiplying it by five months for CO and the remaining seven months for CA.

The IRS usually uses 15 days in a month to consider that a full month, I would image it's the same for the states. If you want to be more precise you can use the days in the year 136 days for CO and 229 days for CA. 

Lastly, if your pension was not received equally throughout the entire year, you will want to use the actual pension payments received for each period of residency. File a part year resident return for each state.

First, use the steps here to add the state to your file that is not that is not your current state.

1. Select "Personal Info" for desktop or "My Info" for online
  2. For a second state only: Edit by selecting the pencil next to Other state income, select appropriate state
  3. Click the image attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If you received the pension equally throughout the year you can do a simple proration by taking the total gross pension, dividing it by 12 and then multiplying it by five months for CO and the remaining seven months for CA.

The IRS usually uses 15 days in a month to consider that a full month, I would image it's the same for the states. If you want to be more precise you can use the days in the year 136 days for CO and 229 days for CA. 

Lastly, if your pension was not received equally throughout the entire year, you will want to use the actual pension payments received for each period of residency. File a part year resident return for each state.

First, use the steps here to add the state to your file that is not that is not your current state.

1. Select "Personal Info" for desktop or "My Info" for online
  2. For a second state only: Edit by selecting the pencil next to Other state income, select appropriate state
  3. Click the image attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies